All students at Twynham have access to careers guidance in a variety of ways:
- There is dedicated time during PD lessons covering such things as Year 9 Options, pay slips, managing money, post-16 progression, interview techniques and writing letters of application.
- In Year 10, students complete a one week work experience. Selection for this, and further information, are available in the autumn term. This is always a highly successful, worthwhile and valuable experience for the students. It is not always possible to match a student’s career aspirations with a work placement, particularly in fields such as medicine, dentistry and veterinary. All placements are vetted and insurance confirmed.
- We also run a comprehensive work-related learning scheme whereby students undertake vocational courses.
- The school has been fortunate to be able to buy in the services of Ansbury (formerly Connexions), giving all students in year 10 and 11 the opportunity for an individual interview and careers advice. Our Ansbury adviser can be contacted by email or by referral from a tutor/ Head of Year.
- All students have access to Adviser Online (adviseronline.ansbury.co.uk), through which they can access further support including live web chat.
- The Careers Menu (accessed via the Student Gateway) gives access to a multitude of careers resources (including videos) on a wide range of job opportunities.
In addition, there are many other careers inputs through tutor time and events such as Year 10 Employability Day, Year 8 My Money Day, Year 9 Options Evening, Post 16 Progression Evening and Sixth Form Open Evening.
Students in the Sixth Form are able to undertake work experience through the Enrichment programme. Sixth Form language students undertake a work placement. The Sixth Form also have access to their own adviser for careers opportunities and UCAS applications.