Our students have access to careers guidance in a variety of ways:
- In Year 9, there is dedicated time during PSHE lessons covering such things as GCSE and BTEC options, local labour market information, managing money, post-16 progression, interview techniques and writing letters of application.
- In Year 10, students complete a one week work experience. Selection for this, and further information, are available in the autumn term. This is always a highly successful, worthwhile and valuable experience for the students. Unfortunately, due to age restrictions and demand, it is not always possible to match a student’s career aspirations with a work placement, particularly in fields such as medicine, dentistry and veterinary. All placements are vetted.
- In addition, there are many other careers inputs through assemblies and events such as Employability and Enterprise Days, Year 9 Options Evening, post-16 and post-18 Progression Evenings, a Top University and a Top Apprenticeship Event and Sixth Form Open Evening. All Year 12 students attend a Higher Education Fair at Bournemouth University in the Spring Term to learn more about this option whilst exploring their post-18 choices.
- We have a dedicated Oxbridge tutor who helps students plan and make applications to Oxford and Cambridge. For any student considering medicinal/veterinary careers, we provide them with the necessary guidance and interview practice.
- Moreover, we have a unique Alumni Event, which allows Year 11 and Sixth Form students to meet some of our very best past students, gaining advice and work experience opportunities.
- Sixth Form students also have their own dedicated post-18 advisor who is employed to assist with plans after A-Levels, applications to university, internships and top apprenticeships.
- Debbie Jackson – Head of PSHE & Careers
- Julie Collins – UCAS & post-18 Coordinator
- Lin Kennedy – Careers & Work Experience Coordinator
- Sally Baker – Independent Careers Advisor
Our careers team can be contacted via email@example.com or by ringing 01202 486237 during school hours.
To request a careers appointment, students should contact Mrs Kennedy via their tutor or PD teacher, or by emailing her directly using their school email. Parents can also request an appointment on behalf of their child by emailing or calling us using the details above.
General Careers Information:
For general information about the Dorset Labour Market, click here.
Subjects and Specialist Careers
To search for careers information by subject area, we recommend:
|UCAS - Explore Jobs|
|Prospects - What can I do with my degree?|
|Careers in Conservation and Environment|
|Careers in Food and Drink|
|Careers in Healthcare|
|Careers in Maths|
|Careers in the NHS|
|Careers in Science|
Post 16 Choices
Post 18 Choices