Top Tips for a Smooth Transition to Secondary School
Please find below some ideas to help you and you child make a smooth transition from Primary education to Secondary.
In July & August
- Encourage your child to view the Induction Day materials and go through these with them so that they have an idea of what our school is like.
- We recommend that students have an alarm clock, or set an alarm on their phone. Secondary school starts a little bit earlier than primary school.
- We suggest that boys practise tying and untying their tie if they haven't worn one before - this will make getting ready in the morning and changing for PE quicker.
- Help your child to work out their route to school; encourage them to practise it and time it so that they know exactly where to go and when to leave in the mornings.
- Make sure that they have a strong bag for all their books.
- Buy the new school uniform and PE Kit. Try them on and label everything clearly with the student's name.
- Stock up on stationery and equipment.
- Make sure that your child knows when school starts and finishes.
- Think about the end of the day - do you need to get a house key cut for your child?
And on the first day, encourage your child to:
- Find out where the toilets are.
- Find out where lunch is served and how to use the canteen.
- Make copies of their timetable when you get home - one for their planner, one for home, and one for their blazer pocket!
- Exchange phone numbers with new friends so that if they do have a problem, for example with homework, someone will be able to help you.
- Ask if they are unsure about something, or lost.
- Try to eat breakfast, even if they are nervous. It will help them with the earlier start!
- Encourage your child to use their student planner - it is essential to keep them on top of homework and all the other things to remember.
- Never be afraid to ask for help.
- Ask them to find out about clubs so that they can spend more time doing things they love.
- Read Vocabulary Transition from Primary to Secondary School on this link.
- Encourage your child to pack their school bag the night before, so that they always have what they need for the day ahead.
- Create a space at home where they can do their homework.
- Students should relax and try to enjoy their new school. This time next year, they will be showing the new Year 7s around!