What advice would you give to students and parents?
- Students should talk to parents about their interests and discuss which subjects they enjoy and do well in.
- Students should consider what they would like to do in the future and what subjects would help them to achieve this.
- Students and parents should make the most of Parents' Evening and Options Evening - come along and talk to staff and older students about the subjects on offer and what the courses entail.
- Together, research post-16 courses and consider which subjects would be relevant.
- Encourage variety in the subjects chosen by students – this will allow for greater choice post-16
- Choose subjects for the right reasons:
|The right reasons||The wrong reasons|
|I am good at this subject||I like the teacher|
|I know that this subject will help me to achieve my post-16 ambitions||All my friends are doing this subject|
|I want to keep my options open so I have chosen a broad range of subjects||The other choices are too difficult / boring|
|I have achieved good marks and feedback in that subject|